Sunday, July 10, 2022

Scilly, Part I


Photocopied map from the new flora

Friday 1st - pre-game

Briza maxima was the first thing I saw when I stepped out of the car in Penzance. There was also pavement weed Nasturtium and plenty of Mexican Fleabane on display. Had I paid attention I would have had other things, but I did get them at the end (to be resumed)

The Scillonian III was waiting for us in at the quay.


and the first of many fish and chips to build up the stamina for the week ahead


Saturday, 2nd July

Leaving Penzance

Travel to St.Mary's by Scillonian III from Penzance, arriving in the afternoon. We saw some probably-Common dolphins, but not good enough views to be sure - for us, at least. Luggage took a bit of time to arrive with Island Carriers, but otherwise a drama (and excitement) free trip. Our luggage was picked up early on the way back so we must have been near the start/end of the circuit.

Our first look at the Scilly vegetation, with plenty of new things to look at as soon as we got off the boat. Bizarrely, I didn't take any decent pics of the abundant Aeoniums, even though it's kind of a signature plant of Hugh Town. I do have this Fleshy Yellow Sorrel, though.

We had a quick tour of the Garrison on Saturday night, picking up a few plants along the way, including Hairy Bird's-foot Trefoil and Sea Storksbill.


Purple Dewplant (Disphyma crassifolium) is everywhere, both in gardens and out and I got my first gripping views of the legend that is Annual Mercury. We had some nice Jersey Cudweed, Rubus ulmifolius and Hoary Stock, all together in a little storage yard beside the road. Don't expect me to remember English and scientific names. Not at the same time, anyway.



Sunday, 3rd July, terrestrial


With rock pooling awaiting us in the afternoon a short trip to Peninnis Head was scheduled. There were plenty of bits and bobs encountered, with a trip-target Teloschistes albicans (Golden Hair Lichen) waiting for us on the rocks beneath the lighthouse.

First, we zig-zagged down Buzza Hill and this Silverleaf Everlastingflower was on the hedge to the hospital. It is also everywhere else too, though.


Balm-leaved Figwort is also almost ever-present. I didn't photograph the leaves - of course not!


We also saw the short, papillose leaves of Pale Dewplant, though I can't recall if we recognised it at the time. Let's say we did and move on.


Cape Daisy (Osteospermum jucundum) is also just about everywhere, apparently in every single garden, and inevitably elsewhere too. Flat, toothy leaves stand out from the crown.


I also had my first ever Conehead (Long-winged - straight cerci), though I did think I had a cricket at first.


Another ever-present on the islands is Karo - Pittosporum, with some rather aesthetically-pleasing seed pods.

And finally ... the Teloschistes near the lighthouse. It's the yellow stuff in the foreground on the right here. The rock formations here are a feature in their own right.


Sunday 3rd,  marine ... later

No comments:

Post a Comment